Monday, July 6, 2015

Asian Meatballs

Asian Meatballs with Rice,Vegetables and Sweet N Sour Sauce. 


As I have mentioned before, I love Asian food. And with this recipe I wanted to test the Asian Meatball recipe out with my Tupperware SmartSteamer. Recipe calls for ground pork, but I wanted to try Turkey. I know many have said that turkey has a strange flavor when cooking, but the trick to using ground turkey is to season it with what you're going to cook it in and let it marinate for a few hours. Then the meat takes on the flavor of the seasonings. So with this recipe I did just that.


In my directions you'll see the first pic with Asian Noodles, but everyone decided they wanted rice so I switched over to Minute Rice to save time. And with my recipe I always make my own Sweet-N-Sour sauce. And no, it doesn't turn out pink like in the jar or restaurant. It's a brown color due to the Soy Sauce. But it is very good!

So let's get started with the recipe!

Gather Supplies
For the first part of the recipe you'll need
1 lb. pkg of ground turkey
Five Spice Seasonings
Soy Sauce
1 clove garlic - crushed
1/2 inch or so of fresh ginger - grated.
Dash of Salt
Tupperware Products Used: SmartSteamer and Vent N' Serve.




Step 1- First I mixed 1-1/2 tsp. of Five Spice Seasonings, 1 clove crushed garlic and some fresh grated Ginger, few dashes of Soy Sauce and a dash of salt to the turkey meat. (Go easy on the salt because of the soy sauce) Then I let it set covered in the fridge about 2 hours. That's to let the meat take on the flavors of the seasonings

Step 2- Once it marinated for 2 hours, I took and rolled it into small meatball shapes. This is what the 1 lb. package made

Step 3- Here you can see I placed the meatballs in the bottom and the colander section of the Tupperware SmartSteamer. I then filled the tray with water and put the lid on and cooked for about 8 min. This will vary on amount of meatballs and wattage of your microwave.



Step 4- While the meatballs were steaming, I washed out my Vent N' Serve and I put in my bag of Vegetables. I used a touch of water to help them steam. When the meatballs were done, I place them in the microwave for about 8 min to steam them. I wanted them still with some crunch. To my veggies, I did add some fresh bell pepper that I sliced.

These are the meatballs once they finished cooking. I just sat them to the side with the lid on until I was ready for them.

Now it's time to make the Sweet N' Sour sauce from scratch. In the pic you see a Lime, but I ended up not using that. Instead I used bottled Lemon juice.

Supplies needed for Sweet N' Sour Sauce

1-1/2 cups Water
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
2 Tbl. Orange Juice - I use fresh orange, so I squeeze half the orange in the recipe.
1/3 cup. Rice Vinegar
2-1/2 Tbl. Soy Sauce
1 Tbl. fresh Orange Zest.
1 cup packed Brown Sugar
1/2 Tsp. Ginger Root - minced
1 clove Garlic - minced
2 Tbl. Green Onion - chopped
3 Tbl. Corn Starch
2 Tbl. Water



Step 5- Mix water, lemon juice, orange juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, orange zest, brown sugar and ginger root and garlic to a pot or pan. Heat on med-high and combine until sugar is dissolved and starting to bubble.
Mix 3 Tbl. of corn starch and water together to make a slurry and add to mixture. Stir until think and bubbly. Add in chopped green onions.

While this was cooking, I put on 2 cups of water to boil and when it came to a boil, I added 2 cups of minute rice, covered and turned off the heat.


 Step 6 - Everything is done and ready to combine. I added my vegetables and the meatballs to the Sweet N' Sour sauce. I let this simmer for about 5 min to combine flavors. By this time the rice has finished. Just place a helping of rice on a plate or bowl and top with your meatballs mixture.

And here you have it!




Hope you enjoy the recipe!




 



No comments:

Post a Comment