Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal

Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal

Around our home we do like Oatmeal, and Tupperware has a recipe for cooking the Steel Cut Oats overnight. So, seeing we like it, I tried the recipe. Now Steel Cut Oats takes much longer to cook than Rolled Oats, so with this recipe it cuts WAY down on the cooking time and it makes it easy for those mornings you're in a rush. Just takes a little prep work the night before.

 I did modify the Tupperware recipe a bit because I found in the first batch it seem to have to much water or not enough oats. If you're making for small children, then the original recipe they have might work for you. But for us it wasn't enough oats, so I double the oats. The recipe below is my conversion. Making this recipe is done the night before the morning you want the oatmeal.

If you didn't know, Steel Cut Oats are the best for you. Full of fiber, protein and Iron. So if you're looking to help your body, lower cholesterol I would suggest eating more oats. To learn more about the benefits of Steel Cut Oats, I suggest this site. Livestrong.com



Ok, so.. let's get to the recipe.

Gather your supplies:
Tupperware Rice Cooker
Tupperware Microwave Cereal Bowls
2 cups Steel Cut Oats
4 cups of Water
Measuring Cup

Step 1: NIGHT BEFORE
In the Tupperware Rice Cooker, put your 2 cups of steel cut oats and 4 cups of water. Put the lids on and cook at 50% power in your microwave for 8 min. Now my microwave is 1250 watts, so you may have to adjust your time depending on the wattage.

When done cooking, it will still have some water in it but you'll see how the oats have swelled some.


Step 2:
After the 8 min in the microwave, I took and poured off the water as much as I could so all that I had was the oats. SAVE the water. Don't pour it out. You'll need it.

Step 3:
Divide your oats into your bowls. I used about a cup or so in each bowl. Then take the oatmeal water and divide that up for each bowl. I poured just enough water to cover the oatmeal.

Step 4:
Now, put your lids on your bowls and set in the fridge overnight.

Next Morning


Step 5:
Take your bowls out of the fridge and they will look like this. I did add just a bit of water to it, but don't add to much or you'll have soupy oatmeal. Now, you can add milk if you like, but I just used water.

Step 6:
Just lay your lid on the bowl and cook in the microwave at 50% power for 3 to 4 min. Once again, this all depends on your wattage. You might want 70% power for lower wattage. After 4 min in my microwave we had oatmeal!

To mine, I like to use brown sugar and a touch of butter. Add some chopped dried fruit, fresh peaches, nuts, or honey. Just fix it to how you love it.


And here we have it, hubby enjoying some Steel Cut Oats for breakfast!

Enjoy!
Patty Dooley

No comments:

Post a Comment